Historic Schools

The island’s historic schools are outstanding in their architectural designs. Many originated from benefactors’ concerns for the education of the country’s poor. Jamaica contains some of the oldest educational institutions in the Caribbean.

Shortwood Teachers’ College - Parish: St. Andrew Building to the East of the Courtyard at Shortwood Teachers’ College Shortwood Teachers’ College began operations on September 28, 1885. It was founded as part of a package of social, economic and political reforms spearheaded by Sir
Northern Caribbean University - Parish: Manchester Northern Caribbean University West Indies College was born as a result of the Seventh Day Adventist Movement in Jamaica. In 1907, a ninety acre farm was purchased at Willowdene in St. Catherine, but this was later sold to
Munro College - Parish: St.Elizabeth Munro College Munro College Buildings On the 30th, October, 1834, and Act for the sale of the real estate of Robert Huge Munro and Caleb Dickenson was read and passed on November 6. By this Act, the Trustees
Mico College Buildings - Parish: St. Andrew Buxton House The structures are all comparatively old but have contributed greatly to the accommodation, spiritual well being, and education of teachers from the Negro population. They form a part of the Mico College which was established
Manning’s School - Parish: Westmoreland Manning’s School The history of the Manning’s School dates back to a quarter of a century before the actual setting up of the school when in 1711, Thomas Manning, a Westmoreland planter, bequeathed a gift of land for
Hampton School - Parish: St. Elizabeth Hampton School Hampton School, like Munro College, has its origins in the Munro and Dickenson Trust. Robert Hugh Munro in his will dated January 21, 1797, bequeathed a part of his estate to his nephew Caleb Dickenson

 

Booking

Restaurant

Nightlife