These communities were settled by specific groups of people under special or difficult circumstances.
The Maroons, after signing a peace treaty with the British in 1739, became entitled to land. Today, the principal Maroon communities are Accompong, Moore Town, Scots Hall and Charles Town.
Seaford Town, in 1835, became home to over 200 German settlers. Descendants of the original settlers still call this township home.
Lacovia Tombstones - Lacovia Tombstones Parish: St. Elizabeth A tale is told that a party was in progress at a nearby tavern when a disagreement began between two persons and this developed into a fight. As a result, both persons were killed, and… Jewish Cemetery - Jewish Cemetery St. Andrew Parish: St. Andrew The old Jewish Cemetery at 1 Hunt’s Bay in St. Andrew, is an important landmark in the history of Jamaica as it is the oldest denominational cemetery on the island and is one… Bedward’s Tomb - Bedward’s Tomb St. Andrew Parish: St. Andrew The Bedward’s Tomb is located in Bedward Cemetery, August Town, St. Andrew and is named in memory of Alexander Bedward (1859-1930). The tomb is a simple concrete structure with a somewhat rectangular finish.… Woodside - Parish: St. Mary The community of Woodside is one of the Jamaican villages replete with history. It has connection to the Taíno, the plantation era and emancipation. There is evidence of Taíno presence in the area in the form of… Seaford Town - Seaford Town Parish: Westmoreland After the Abolition of Slavery (Aug. 1, 1834) many planters saw an impending shortage of labour. Consequently new measures were sought in an effort to solve this problem. One measure sought was the establishment of a… Nanny Town - Sketch of Nanny Parish: Portland The Maroon citadel was not by any means the most accessible site. Situated on Nanny Town Hill in the shadow of Abraham, 2,000′ high above sea level, this was the most famous settlement of the… Moore Town - Moore Town – Bump Grave Parish: Portland In 1739 Cudjoe, Nanny’s brother, signed a peace treaty with the British. The Maroons thereby became the first group of blacks to succeed in gaining their freedom and having that freedom officially recognized.… Flagstaff - Flagstaff Parish: St. James Flagstaff is the site of a small Maroon community and features considerably in the Maroons Wars which begun in 1795. After the war, barracks were built on the Old Town now known as Flagstaff. By 1838,… Accompong - Accompong Parish: St. Elizabeth This village located in St. Elizabeth is named after its founder Accompong, brother of Quao, Cuffy, Cudjoe, and Nanny, the leader and founder of Nanny Town. They were well trained warriors from the Ashanti area of…